Monday, February 4, 2008

WEEK 5 (1/14 –1/18)

More interns filtered in this week. Not as many as I had anticipated, but there is now a grand total of eight Today Show interns. This week ran the same as usual – mail, phones, errands, and so on; but the highlight of my week was on Friday morning. Friday frequently is my favorite day at the Today Show, but this Friday was even more significant because the producer I normally assist that day was away on vacation. The producer’s absence gave me a lot of extra responsibility, which I was excited and willing to take on. Since the substitute producer was unfamiliar with the “Ambush Makeover” segment, she was dependent on me to guide her. The segment’s normal producer forewarned me that I would have to keep on my toes this Friday; since I was most familiar with the piece’s components: the general format, on-air hit times, wardrobe/makeup areas, required b-roll and edit cues/hit times, audio, etc.

The segment turned out to be terrific. In fact, it may have been the best “Ambush Makeover” segment I’ve seen so far. We had some excellent on-camera revelation reactions from family and friends of the women getting the makeover, and even a few joyful tears. When the producer returned the following week and watched the segment herself she was very pleased.

No comments: